Victoria Park

Across the railway footbridge is Victoria Park, which Ashford Urban District Council purchased in 1898 from the prominent Jemmett family who owned a bank in the town centre (now Lloyds Bank). The park’s Hubert Fountain was commissioned for the Great International Exhibition of 1862 held in the RHS Gardens in Kensington. Afterwards the fountain was installed in the gardens of Olantigh Towers in Wye, until a fire destroyed the house in 1903. Local antiques dealer George Harper gifted the fountain to the borough on condition that it be celebrated annually on his birthday, a tradition still upheld on the 23rd July each year.

< Bank Street ¦ Heritage Trail ¦ Queen Street / Church Road >