This building, facing west to the King’s Parade, is another timber-framed house built in the 16th- century. This is interesting as the gable faces the street. Many town-houses or shops in the Middle Ages were built with their fronts parallel to the street, usually with their upper ﬂoors jettied. (Examples of this Way of building in Ashford are the ‘Cottage Restaurant’ in North Street and Rabson’s former shop at 55 High Street). Other gabled fronts are at 63 High Street and the optician’s at 7 North Street.
Ground Floor: The low shop-front (formerly a butcher’s) has a balcony with cast-iron railings, supported on iron columns of Victorian origin.
First Floor: The street-front gable is plastered and painted, concealing the timbering. The gable has carved barge boards with a central pendant at the apex and overhangs the ground-ﬂoor with a moulded bressummer.
The side of the building ﬂanking the lane has been plastered over the timbering and painted.
The long roof has Kent peg-tiles.
Briscall W., 1987, Discovering Ashford’s Old Buildings, Ashford, LRB Historical Publications
Date first listed: 24-Sep-1951
- 5344 MIDDLE ROW No 4 TR 0142 NW 1/30 24.9.51.II GV
- A C16 timber-framed house with plastered front now painted black and white in imitation of timbering but the 1st floor overhanging on a bressumer on the south side. 3 storeys. Gable overhanging on moulded bressumer and brackets with carved bargeboards and pendant. 3-light bay window on 1st floor with glazing bars intact. Large flat hood over shop front extending half across the pavement, supported on iron columns with iron railing over.
All the items in Middle Row form a group.
Listing NGR: TR0101642804